Using Prolog to Compile Things

Nick Roberts <nickroberts@callnetuk.com>
16 May 1999 15:37:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Using Prolog to Compile Things nickroberts@callnetuk.com (Nick Roberts) (1999-05-16)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things gsg@mimuw.edu.pl (1999-05-20)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1999-05-21)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (1999-05-21)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things gkt37@dial.pipex.com (JT) (1999-05-22)
Re: Using Prolog to Compile Things Daniel.Diaz@inria.fr (1999-05-22)

From: Nick Roberts <nickroberts@callnetuk.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 May 1999 15:37:21 -0400

Has anyone on this ng experience or knowledge of the use of Prolog to
implement a native-code compiler for a typical high-level imperative
language? I am toying with the idea of using Prolog for the lexer, the
parser, the intermediate (library) code generator, and the end-code
generator (and even, in effect, for linking!), i.e. the 'whole shebang'.
I'm even toying with the idea of having (most) of the IDE written in Prolog,
and thus tightly integrating the compiler and IDE.

This is an open source project (possibly GPL or similar), and a bit
experimental, and it's not a project that has a budget of millions (well
that's one way of putting it :-), so I'm willing to make the speed sacrifice
(I'm not so sure my co-projectees are, but that's mp ;-). I'm particularly
interested in the idea of using Prolog's natural searching abilities to
search for truly optimal code.

Contributions gratefully accepted.

Nick Roberts