Flex question

"Guido Minnen" <guidomi@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
9 Apr 1999 14:07:18 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Flex question suzi@linus.mitre.org (1992-07-31)
Re: Flex question bliss@sp64.csrd.uiuc.edu (1992-08-03)
Flex question guidomi@cogs.susx.ac.uk (Guido Minnen) (1999-04-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Guido Minnen" <guidomi@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Apr 1999 14:07:18 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to extend a lexer written in Flex (v. 2.5.2). (The Flex
description consists of about 1500 rules.) Every time I add a new rule
to my Flex description I get the error message: "flex: input rules are
too complicated (>= 32000 NFA states)"
    I know I can "solve" this problem by collapsing rules through
extending the C actions. Can you tell me whether this is the only Flex
description level solution to this problem?

(I prefer not to change the Flex source code as I would like to
distribute the final Flex description without having to force future
users to recompile Flex.)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Guido

Cognitive and Computing Sciences
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH
United Kingdom
[Lex does have a few hard-coded limits that you'll run into with
enormous lexers. What does this thing do? 1500 rules is huge. -John]