Re: PCODE Interpereters 101

albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
24 Feb 1999 12:26:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-02-10)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 sam@cogent.ca (Sam Roberts) (1999-02-12)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 kevin.b.smith@intel.com (Kevin B. Smith) (1999-02-15)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1999-02-15)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 toring@inet.uni2.dk (Torben Ring) (1999-02-18)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu (aduncan) (1999-02-21)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 albaugh@agames.com (1999-02-24)
Re: PCODE Interpereters 101 Scott.Daniels@Acm.Org (Scott.David.Daniels) (1999-03-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: albaugh@agames.com (Mike Albaugh)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Feb 1999 12:26:27 -0500

aduncan (aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu) wrote:
: Scott Amspoker wrote:
: > I always felt that P-code's static links weren't a very efficient

: I recall reading (citations, anyone?) that the vast majority of
: variable references in real programs are either local or global;

I vaguely recall seeing something of this nature quoted as the reasons
why the B5000 series did not have a display. OTOH, the B6000 series
did :-) The difference may have been due to the nature of the programs
examined.

: aduncan@cs.ucsb.edu
: [I would guess that there are some programs whose performance depends
: greatly on the speed of up-level references, but not many. -John]

My personal guess would be that (IIRC) the B6000 ran entire "programs"
within a "context" that was somewhat equivalent to "calling from
within the OS). This could mean that the equivalents of "system calls"
looked more like "library calls", and also that what a programmer
thought of as "global data" was actually the "block data" of a block a
few levels down in the "call tree" of the system. Anybody with a
better memory want to clarify? (or is there not enough grease left
where once was a horse? :-) Of course, one could counter with a
"semi-display" that "bookmarked" the outermost frame, or what the
programmer "thought" was global...

Mike