Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code

dmitrik@my-dejanews.com
15 Feb 1999 23:04:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code grant.griffin@iowegian.com (Grant Griffin) (1999-02-07)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code zalman@netcom.com (1999-02-07)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code guthseel@cesys.com (Peter Guthseel) (1999-02-10)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code Juergen.Kahrs@t-online.de (1999-02-10)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code nr@labrador.cs.virginia.edu (Norman Ramsey) (1999-02-10)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code m.lambertson@computer.org (Michael Lambertson) (1999-02-12)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code dmitrik@my-dejanews.com (1999-02-15)
Re: Reverse compilation of DSP code jkahrs@castor.atlas.de (Juergen Kahrs) (1999-02-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dmitrik@my-dejanews.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.dsp,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 15 Feb 1999 23:04:31 -0500

    "Peter Guthseel" <guthseel@cesys.com> wrote:
> I dont think that the translation of assembly code to C is possible.
>
> Even with code that was compiled from C to assembly it is a problem to
> translate it back. I have heard in the past of several tools, but all
> i tried did a very bad job.
>
> When the Assembly code was made manually and was optimized i think
> there is no chance to translate it to C.
>
> The only possibility is if you are happy with very ugly C code,
> where every assembly command is translated to a C Function.

Not exactly. You will probably end up with something that looks like yacc
output - huge functions and lots of gotos. But still pretty ugly :)

> [For the most part I agree, although there's some interesting experimental
> work in trying to extract semantics from object code. -John]

Depends on what purpose you need this C source for. If you want to
recompile and run it as is then the answer is no, forget it. If you
just want to get some general ideas on what's going on, translation to
C might help for one reason - there are tools available for analysing
C sources, eg. building call graphs, xref tables, flow charts etc.

However I wouldn't do that unless absolutely necessary.

Dmitri