Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed.

derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
15 Feb 1999 23:02:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. chul_ki@my-dejanews.com (1999-02-10)
Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. olivier.lefevre@wdr.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1999-02-12)
Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. derek@knosof.co.uk (1999-02-15)
Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. ast@halcyon.com (1999-02-15)
Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. monnier+comp/compilers/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu (Stefan Monnier) (1999-02-16)
Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. zalman@netcom.com (1999-02-24)
Re: compiler from c to Bytecodes(java) is needed. olivier.lefevre@wdr.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1999-02-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Feb 1999 23:02:56 -0500

All,

chul_ki@my-dejanews.com writes:
> My fellow workers and I are making java processor.
> I need the compiler which allow C source code to target JVM
> (Java Virtual Machine).
> Has anybody else heard this, and If so do they know where I could
> find any more information on this subject.
> please . help me.
> [Java is much more strongly typed than C. I would think that would
> be pretty difficult. -John]

It is not as difficult as it looks (provided you are not after efficient
code).

I worked out a design over a year ago. But decided that the oddities
would catch too many people out (there is much implementation defined
behaviour and even undefined behaviour that is intrinsic to processors
that have a flat memory architecture).

The hardest bit to design was pointers to functions.

The design also required a particular implementation defined behaviour
for work 'as expected'. A method for turning Java 'headers' into
C is also needed. So that the various Java API's are usable.

I already have a compiler that targets a stack machine. Are there
any paying customers out there? What do people think?

derek

--
Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd mailto:derek@knosof.co.uk