Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser

"Harald Fjerdingstad" <lio-daa@online.no>
2 Jan 1999 21:42:33 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser lio-daa@online.no (Harald Fjerdingstad) (1999-01-02)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-01-03)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1999-01-03)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser lio-daa@online.no (Harald Fjerdingstad) (1999-01-04)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser lio-daa@online.no (Harald Fjerdingstad) (1999-01-06)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser escargo@mirage.skypoint.com (1999-01-06)
Re: Need starting tips for a new interpreter / parser mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1999-01-11)

From: "Harald Fjerdingstad" <lio-daa@online.no>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jan 1999 21:42:33 -0500

Hello,

I am at the project planning level of making a new parser /
interpreter for a reporting tool.

It will be completely driven by a well defined (pascal like grammar)
language source file.

It will support assignment statements, loops, conditions and all the
other usuall stuff a language should have.

I have already done the work of defining the language, and are about
to start checking the language.

I just want to have some tips from you experts on how to plan the
interpreting phase. Should I build a parse tree? Check byte for byte?
Build a "reserved words" table?

Could someone outline the basic steps for me.

Best regards

Harald Fjerdingstad
[Sounds like you've skipped the first step, which is to decide whether
you really need to invent yet another little interpreter. There are
several high-quality freely available extension languages including
Python and TCL which are specifically designed to be programming
frameworks into which one can drop application-specific commands and
functions. Writing even a bad interpreter is a fair amount of work,
so it usually makes more sense to skip that step and start with a good
interpreter that already exists. -John]