Re: Fortran to Java translator

abate@brahma.ticam.utexas.edu (Jason Abate)
21 Dec 1998 11:49:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fortran to Java translator cwong1@cs.uiuc.edu (David Wong) (1998-12-19)
Re: Fortran to Java translator abate@brahma.ticam.utexas.edu (1998-12-21)
Re: Fortran to Java translator ttlegrad@plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca (1998-12-21)
Re: Fortran to Java translator wclodius@aol.com (1999-01-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: abate@brahma.ticam.utexas.edu (Jason Abate)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers.tools.javacc,comp.compilers
Date: 21 Dec 1998 11:49:56 -0500

On 19 Dec 1998 13:46:06 -0500, David Wong <cwong1@cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>I am going to write a Fortran 90 to Java translator and I would like
>to use JavaCC to generate the parser.
>
>Are there any existing Fortran 90 frontends available so that I can
>reuse the effort? If not, I would like to know whether JavaCC can
>handle Fortran grammar.

There aren't any F90 frontends using JavaCC available, that I know of.
Currently, I'm developing a F90 parser/IR/unparser using ANTLR
(www.antlr.org) for use in a source-transformation automatic
differentiation tool. The code is by no means polished (or completely
working, for that matter), but it is getting there.

In researching what systems are available before I started my
work, there are a couple of F90 frontends available, including:
    Eli (http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~eliuser/)
    HPFfe (http://www.npac.syr.edu/projects/pcrc/hpffe.html)
    ADAPTOR (http://www.gmd.de/SCAI/lab/adaptor/adaptor_home.html)
    Sage++ (http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/sage/index.html)
Also, several of the Fortran compiler vendors make their front/back
ends available (for a fee of course). I believe NAG and Lahey,
and probably others, do this.

-jason

      Jason Abate abate@ticam.utexas.edu www.ticam.utexas.edu/~abate
          Texas Institute for Computational and Applied Mathematics
  University of Texas at Austin, 2.400 Taylor Hall, Austin, TX 78712
Work: 512-471-6947 or 232-2705 Home: 512-912-1012 Fax: 512-471-8694