Questions about optimization switches for 'C' with VC++ v5.0 w/ Intel processors

"Kathleen Langone" <klangone@inc-net.com>
1 Dec 1998 02:44:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Questions about optimization switches for 'C' with VC++ v5.0 w/ Intel klangone@inc-net.com (Kathleen Langone) (1998-12-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Kathleen Langone" <klangone@inc-net.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Dec 1998 02:44:35 -0500

How effective are these various switches?

I've heard that optimizing some complex numerical expressions might
result in different ordering of term evaluation and hence different
numerical answers. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also - does anyone have any suggestions about efficient C programming
w/ x86 architecture?

thanks in advance for any and all advice!
[The answer to the last question is the same as it's been for 20 years:
profile your program, find the hot spots, and rewrite them using better
algorithms. And I'd be amazed if different optimizations didn't reorder
arithmetic operations which will usually give you different floating
point results. -John]