Regular Expression Minimisation

adall@cs.um.edu.mt
12 Nov 1998 01:31:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Regular Expression Minimisation adall@cs.um.edu.mt (1998-11-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: adall@cs.um.edu.mt
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Nov 1998 01:31:16 -0500

Hi,

I am currently doing some research into minimisation of Regular
Expressions, having defined normal forms for general expressions and
developed a minimisation technique. Note that this is different from
minimisation of an FSA - I have yet to see an FSA minimisation
algorithm which produces a minimal Regular Expression when the
resulting automaton is translated into a regular expression.

(For this purpose, I am defining a minimal expression as the one which
has the minimal entropy, ex. a* is more minimal than a.)

I would like to find out about any such similar research or standard
algorithms, so that I may refer and give credit to other similar
research in my forthcoming paper on the subject.

Angelo Dalli