Re: Lex and yacc debugger design

Robert Frederick Pickering <pickerr6@cs.man.ac.uk>
22 Oct 1998 01:58:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Lex and yacc debugger design pickerr6@cs.man.ac.uk (Robert Frederick Pickering) (1998-10-17)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design qjackson@wave.home.com (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1998-10-18)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design thetick@magelang.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1998-10-18)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design pickerr6@cs.man.ac.uk (Robert Frederick Pickering) (1998-10-22)
Re: Lex and yacc debugger design thetick@magelang.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1998-11-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Robert Frederick Pickering <pickerr6@cs.man.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Oct 1998 01:58:16 -0400

Robert Frederick Pickering wrote:

> As part of a third year project I am building a debugger for lex and
> yacc, percifically flex and byacc. It would be very useful to me if I
> had user opinions on which error messages are inadequate, how they could
> be improved and which bugs in lex and yacc code are totally overlooked.
>
> Thanks
> Rob
> rfp@cs.man.ac.uk
> [I find that the problem isn't getting the yacc or lex source to compile,
> it's figuring out why it's not lexing or parsing the language I think
> it is. Single stepping and being able to see what the state machine
> is doing helps here. -John]

My apologies, I failed to explain the project properly, the debugger I
am building is aimed at novice user. pacifically undergraduates
encountering lex & yacc for the first time.

These use often have difficulties getting code to compile and
understanding the frankly rubbish error that are given. I know I did
:) Which is why asked about error messages in my original post.

Input from novice use or people who run course on lex & yacc would be
partially helpful.

If you are interested in help me there are lots more details at my
project web pages: http://www.compsoc.org.uk/~robp/

Thanks
Rob
rfp@cs.man.ac.uk