Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ?

Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?= <Marko.Makela@HUT.FI>
13 Oct 1998 02:16:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? depreter@helios.iihe.ac.be (Marc De Preter) (1998-10-05)
Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1998-10-06)
Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? rsi@lucent.com (Rajappa Iyer) (1998-10-10)
Re: ASN.1:1994 grammar for bison ? Marko.Makela@HUT.FI (Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?=) (1998-10-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Marko =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4kel=E4?= <Marko.Makela@HUT.FI>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Oct 1998 02:16:16 -0400

>>>>> "Rajappa" == Rajappa Iyer <rsi@lucent.com> writes:

Rajappa> Why don't you start off from snacc? The effort involved in
Rajappa> modifying snacc to deal with ASN.1:1994 may be less than
Rajappa> writing the whole thing from scratch.

Because I didn't know about SNACC. We already have written our ASN.1
compiler. It is really a pity, since also SNACC is distributed under
the GNU General Public License. The only advantages of our ASN.1
compiler I can think of is that it is written in C++ using STL, and
the semantic analysis performed by it is rather complete.

Marko> If you are going to support the ASN.1 classes and objects (with
Marko> user-defineable syntax), I wish you good luck!

Rajappa> Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MACROs deprecated (and
Rajappa> more or less redundant) with 1994?

MACROs yes, but they were replaced by CLASSes, which have an
user-defineable syntax. Does anyone know how the ASN.1 compilers that
support the ASN1:1994 Information Object Specifications (IOS) are
implemented? Is a separate preprocessor used? Or maybe some really
cruel lexer hacks?

Marko Mäkelä