Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs

Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net>
22 Aug 1998 23:33:46 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-08-17)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs lindahl@cs.virginia.edu (1998-08-19)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs jfc@mit.edu (1998-08-19)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs joachim.durchholz@munich.netsurf.de (Joachim Durchholz) (1998-08-19)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs roy@prism.gatech.edu (1998-08-20)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs awf@robots.ox.ac.uk (Andrew Fitzgibbon) (1998-08-20)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (1998-08-22)
Re: numerical methods sources chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1998-08-24)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs luddy@concmp.com (Luddy Harrison) (1998-09-18)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs cfc@world.std.com (Chris F Clark) (1998-09-19)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs luddy@concmp.com (Luddy Harrison) (1998-09-22)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs zalman@netcom.com (1998-09-22)
Re: inlining + optimization = nuisance bugs chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1998-09-22)

From: Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Aug 1998 23:33:46 -0400

> > [I've never understood why people are so eager to have fast wrong
> > answers. -John]

What are some good books on numerical methods for compiler writers?
Incidentally, I'm with John on this one; I do most of my serious
numerical work in languages that support extended-precision numerics,
just because I don't want 'em to crash when some number geos outside
what its "reasonable" range seems to be today.

It seems to me that implementing a language without taking advantage
of numeric optimizations and inlining is, well, silly. At the same
time, having them, and having them behave correctly, is a tricky
thing. Surely some references are available.

I'm also interested in the "utility" functions that compilers (or at
least math libraries) are expected to provide, such as the
trigonometric functions; how does one compute them to some arbitrarily
chosen precision?

Ray Dillinger
[I can tell you what the standard books were fifteen years ago, but let's
see if anyone has something more recent than Cody and Waite. -John]