Re: SUIF on WinNT

Allyn Dimock <dimock@mass.eas.harvard.edu>
31 Jul 1998 10:55:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SUIF on WinNT dash@cs.sc.edu (Subhashish Dash) (1998-07-30)
Re: SUIF on WinNT dimock@mass.eas.harvard.edu (Allyn Dimock) (1998-07-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Allyn Dimock <dimock@mass.eas.harvard.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 31 Jul 1998 10:55:07 -0400

Subhashish Dash <dash@cs.sc.edu> writes:
> Has anyone compiled (with Borland C++ or GNU C++) and run the SUIF
> compiler toolkits on a WinNT system?

The closest that I can come to a positive answer for this is that one
of out former undergraduates at Harvard was able to compile machSUIF
(an extension to SUIF 1.2) using Visual C++. We have been running
machSUIF on a variety of platforms using g++.

A rather negative answer is that we have had space problems running
SUIF 2: The compiler of choice for SUIF 2 seems to be IBM's Montana
compiler.

The difference in compilers seems to be from that fact that SUIF 1.x
never used templates since most compilers of the day had problems with
templates. Wherever templates would have been useful, SUIF 1.x would
down-cast pointers instead.

SUIF 2 as we received it for testing made extremely heavy use of
templates, to the point that you needed either an incremental
compiler, or a compiler that optimized templated code for space.

The SUIF 2 developers are aware of the problem.

-- Allyn