Re: Compilier Construction Tools - ANTLR info

"Scott Stanchfield" <thetick@magelang.com>
26 Jul 1998 13:31:19 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compilier Construction Tools? shindle@toocool.com (1998-07-26)
Re: Compilier Construction Tools - ANTLR info thetick@magelang.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1998-07-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Scott Stanchfield" <thetick@magelang.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Jul 1998 13:31:19 -0400

> PCCTS:
> tried, true, supported, and apparently fairly popular. Unfortunately,
> our parser guy thinks the C support of the new java based ANTLR needs
> some more testing before we should try it.

FYI: My company, MageLang Institute, is the one that puts out ANTLR 2.x.
    See http://www.antlr.org for details on ANTLR.

There is no C mode for ANTLR, and due to the OO nature of ANTLR 2.x,
probably never will be.

The new C++ mode is quite new (just released very recently). It was
developed by an avid ANTLR/PCCTS user, not our company. He seems
really into supporting it, though, and I've heard some good things
about it. (If you're using VC++ to compile you need the latest patch
from MS.)

Tom Moog, another avid user is still supporting PCCTS 1.33, and has
fixed many old bugs and enhanced it quite a bit. If you really need a
C mode (as opposed to C++) you would have to use the old version.

Another plus for ANTLR 2.x is that I just finished the first release
of a Visual Debugger, ParseView for it. Ter (Terence Parr) is putting
the finishing touches on v2.4.0, which includes ParseView.
    See http://java.magelang.com/~thetick/parseview for details/status.

I am working on a socket-based interface for ParseView so we can use
it from the generated C++ code (or any other language -- some folks
are working on a couple other generated languages as well). ParseView
is written in (pure) Java so once the interface is done it will allow
debugging on any platform that supports Java and and supported
generated language, as well as remote debugging...

Please feel free to ask questions on news:comp.compilers.tools.pccts
regarding ANTLR, or sign up for the mailing list (see
http://www.antlr.org for details)

-- Scott

Scott Stanchfield, Santa Cruz, California, USA
    mailto:thetick@magelang.com http://java.magelang.com/~thetick
MageLang Institute - We serve the best Java education!
    http://www.MageLang.com
VisualAge for Java FAQ & Tips and Tricks
    http://java.magelang.com/~thetick/vajtips