Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading

<hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl>
9 Jun 1998 12:24:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl (1998-06-09)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading tkb@access.mountain.net (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading stephenb@harlequin.co.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading ast@halcyon.com (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading jsm@it.dtu.dk (Jørgen Steensgaard) (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading ceebds@cee.hw.ac.uk (Ben Speight) (1998-06-11)
Re: Type-checking with polymorphism & overloading fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-06-18)

From: <hat@se-46.wpa.wtb.tue.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Jun 1998 12:24:07 -0400

Hello all,

I am working on building a type-checking system for a language which
has both polymorphism and overloading, and compile-time type checking.
I have been looking for an algorithm for this problem, but all
literature found so far (robinson 1965, milner 1978, cardelli
1986(1987?)) assumes polymorphism only. Overloading is sometimes
mentioned, but never included in the proposed solution.

I have some ideas on how to combine both concepts into a workable
system, but proving anything about that system would cost me too much
time (and would be outside my research-area).

So, is there anyone who can point me into the direction of an algorithm
(or articles from which an algorithm could be deduced) to handle this
problem ? Surely, someone in this large world must have looked at the
combination of polymorpism and overloading ?

Further details can be provided at request (imho there are too much
details to post at this time to the newsgroup, so I left them out).

Tnx in advance for your time,
Albert
---
The @wtb.tue.nl domain is known to bounce mail incorrectly sometimes.
If you are one of the lucky persons, please try again, and send the log
as well, so I can prove it to our postmaster. Thank you !