Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language

Lyn A Headley <laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu>
18 May 1998 00:15:39 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
UIL - Universal Intermediate Language sguthery@tiac.net (Scott Guthery) (1998-05-07)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language dwight@pentasoft.com (1998-05-12)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu (Lyn A Headley) (1998-05-15)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language danwang+news@cs.Princeton.EDU (Daniel C. Wang) (1998-05-17)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu (Lyn A Headley) (1998-05-18)
Re: UIL - Universal Intermediate Language shao@cs.yale.edu (Zhong Shao) (1998-05-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lyn A Headley <laheadle@cs.uchicago.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 May 1998 00:15:39 -0400

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel C Wang <danwang+news@cs.Princeton.EDU> writes:

        Daniel> I don't know if everyone would call ML (functional), Java
        Daniel> (OO), and Safe C (Imperative) semantically similar. The

I know I wouldn't.

        Daniel> only thing they all have in common is that have strong
        Daniel> static typing and garbage collection.

Yeah, the FLINT project targets so-called "HOT" (Higher-order and
typed) languages. However, they've interpreted the acronym *very*
liberally (so liberally that I don't think it's very useful as a
term). To the FLINT people, HOT languages can be dynamically or
statically typed, and higher-order languages include those in which
objects carry methods. This encompasses hundreds of languages.

-Lyn
--
Lyn Headley
[Too bad. If it's just another UNCOL project, it'll fail like all the