Mixed Mode Execution and Register Allocation

hjl@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Hugh Leather)
15 May 1998 22:45:32 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Mixed Mode Execution and Register Allocation hjl@dcs.ed.ac.uk (1998-05-15)
Re: Mixed Mode Execution and Register Allocation andi@complang.tuwien.ac.at (1998-05-23)
Re: Mixed Mode Execution and Register Allocation cliff.click@Eng.Sun.COM (Clifford Click) (1998-05-23)
Re: Mixed Mode Execution and Register Allocation pieper@zko.dec.com (John Pieper) (1998-05-30)
Re: Mixed Mode Execution and Register Allocation cliff.click@Eng.Sun.COM (Clifford Click) (1998-05-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: hjl@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Hugh Leather)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 May 1998 22:45:32 -0400

Dear all,

I am looking for references to papers and views, about mixed
mode execution. I am a computer science student and my final year
project is to write a Java virtual machine.
Java is typically interpreted or just-in-time compiled. The
former suffers being slow to run, the latter from being slow to start.
My program starts by interpreting the code, whilst in the background
preparing it for profiling. Once a method has been profiled, that
information can be used for doing a superior compilation. The
resulting code can then be saved, etc. If you have any statistics
that may prove useful in demonstrating the benefits of such an
approach please send them to me.
I have not fully compiled the code yet, since the work of
writing a whole JVM has proved a little more than I had at first
thought. My major focus is on good register allocation. I would like
to know what approaches are taken at the moment, and in particular if
there are any that use profiling information to improve the results.
Generally, if you have anything that you thinkm may be useful
to me, please reply.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh Leather.