Re: [Q] Annotating AST with flow info

Brian.Inglis@CadVision.com (Brian Inglis)
18 Apr 1998 00:52:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[Q] Annotating AST with flow info maratb@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Marat Boshernitsan) (1998-04-13)
Re: [Q] Annotating AST with flow info chase@naturalbridge.com (David Chase) (1998-04-15)
Re: [Q] Annotating AST with flow info bernecky@acm.org (Robert Bernecky) (1998-04-15)
Re: [Q] Annotating AST with flow info Brian.Inglis@CadVision.com (1998-04-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Brian.Inglis@CadVision.com (Brian Inglis)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Apr 1998 00:52:25 -0400

On 13 Apr 1998 11:06:13 -0400, in comp.compilers Marat Boshernitsan
<maratb@CS.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

>I am looking for references (to both tools and papers) on techniques for
>annotating AST with control and data flow information. In particular, I
>am interested in methods that support incremental update, but I am
>curious about in non-incremental algorithms as well. (I am working on a
>language-independent framework for computing this information in a
>programming environment that uses AST for internal representation).

I had a look though the information and references in "High
Performance Compilers for Parallel Computing": Michael Wolfe; Addison
Wesley/96. The book is mainly on performance optimization but may be
of interest to you. The author co-founded Kuck & Assoc. Inc. and is
now at the Oregon Graduate Institue. You might try finding these on
the web for info and links. The author has/had info on the web at
ftp://bc.aw.com/bc/wolfe/highperform including a bibliography in
Bibtex format.

Most of the basics were published in the early 70s to 80s; see:
"Design and Optimization of Compilers": R. Rustin, ed.; Prentice-Hall/72
Depth-First Search and Linear Graph Algorithms: Robert Tarjan; "SIAM Journal of
Computing", June/72
"The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms": Aho/Hopcroft/Ullman;
Addison-Wesley/74
Dependence Graphs and Compiler Optimizations: Kuck..; "ACM Symp. on Princ. of
Prog. Lang.", Jan/81
"Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools": Aho/Sethi/Ullman;
Addison-Wesley/86
"The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms": Cormen/Leiserson/Rivest;
MIT/90.
The papers are seminal. The 3-name books are the standards.

Search for articles containing "(control or data) and (flow or dependence or
graph)" in catalogues of:
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering and other Transactions
ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems
ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
ACM Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation.

Newer and more advanced approaches were published from the 80s, often
in journals and books with "parallel or distributed or high
performance or supercomputing" in the title. Look for articles without
those terms or "vector or array" in the article title.

Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis