1st UK Postgraduate Workshop on Garbage Collection and Memory Management

huw@dcs.gla.ac.uk (Huw Evans)
3 Apr 1998 17:12:34 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
1st UK Postgraduate Workshop on Garbage Collection and Memory Manageme huw@dcs.gla.ac.uk (1998-03-15)
1st UK Postgraduate Workshop on Garbage Collection and Memory Manageme huw@dcs.gla.ac.uk (1998-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: huw@dcs.gla.ac.uk (Huw Evans)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.functional,comp.programming
Date: 3 Apr 1998 17:12:34 -0500

UK Postgraduate Students Please Read This. Workshop Announcement.
Please forward to anyone you think may be interested. Thank you.

We are trying to organise a workshop on garbage collection and memory
management, targetted at UK postgraduate students. It will be an
opportunity for UK students to meet other people with similar research
interests, find out what is going on in this area in the UK, and get
feedback on their work. To make it easier for all students to attend
and talk about their research, *no* paper submissions will be
required.

This initial message is sent in order to determine whether there is
enough interest in this area within the UK. If the response is good,
we will proceed with organising it and also applying for some funding
to possibly cover some of the expenses. If you are interested in
attending, please get in touch with Tony (details below). Also, please
distribute this message to whoever you think might be interested.

                              1st UK Postgraduate Workshop on
                    Garbage Collection and Memory Management

PEOPLE

This workshop is intended to bring together postgraduate students from
within the UK with an interest in garbage collection and memory
management in general. It will allow them to meet other people with
the same interests and possibly form working / research relations in
the future. Academics are also welcome to attend, however only the
postgraduate students will present their work. Students who do not wish
to give talks will be allowed to attend if space permits.
Finally, we hope to invite one or two academic guest speakers.

TOPICS

Possible topics of interest are

    * garbage collection techniques
    * distributed / parallel garbage collection
    * free-space management
    * dynamic memory allocation algorithms
    * persistent object store management
    * tracing and measurement
    * experiences with algorithms and techniques
        etc.

FORMAT

This workshop will be fairly informal and *no* paper submissions will
be required. People who want to present their work will only be asked
to send a short abstract of their talk and a short description of
their research. Anybody who wants to present their early research
plans, in order to get feedback, is also welcome to attend. Talks will
last for 15 mins + 5 mins for questions. If the submissions are more
than can be accommodated, the organisers will select the speakers (and
possibly give 5 min slots to the rest).

DATE

The date has not been finalised yet, nor the duration of the
workshop. Our current proposal is for two to three days in November
1998, in order to include new postgraduate students who start
in September or October.

PLACE

The place has not been finalised either. We are prepared to host the
workshop in Glasgow, even though it is not in a central location. If
anybody else would like to volunteer to host it, please let us know.

CONTACT

Any comments, suggestions, questions, etc. can be directed to

Tony Printezis
Department of Computing Science
University of Glasgow
17 Lilybank Gardens