Re: Scripting language interfaces

Roland Kaufmann <siv_941268@kredit.nhh.no>
3 Apr 1998 17:10:27 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Scripting language interfaces steve@blighty.com (Steve Atkins) (1998-03-24)
Re: Scripting language interfaces daniel@dittmar.net (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting language interfaces eclectictech@usa.net (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting language interfaces siv_941268@kredit.nhh.no (Roland Kaufmann) (1998-04-03)
Re: Scripting language interfaces tincho@crl.com.no.spam (Martin Bertolino) (1998-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Roland Kaufmann <siv_941268@kredit.nhh.no>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Apr 1998 17:10:27 -0500

Steve Atkins wrote:
> Some people like scheme, some prefer tcl, others visual basic, and yet

My favourite is ECMAScript (aka JavaScript aka LiveScript), but then
my background is from object-oriented through imperative languages,
and not functional.

> It would be nice if the enduser could take its favourite scripting
> language plugin, add it to its new application and have everything
> work. It would save the 'which scripting language do we use?'
> decisions for application developers.

Support the idea. Perhaps even better would be if a common language
front-end could script multiple apps. This has been to some extent the
approach pursued by - dare I mention it - Microsoft with their
IDispatch interface in COM.

I've been into this problem myself. Implementation is to be done using
Java, so I have considered taking the quick route of having the
application supply a root object to the script-engine/compiled version
(from now: script). The script then uses Java reflection to get the
methods this object exposes. If a java.lang.Object is returned then
this in turn may be queried. Analogous, a Win32 implementation could
use IDispatch. Unices may go for an IIOP solution, but that may end up
being a major programming project in it's own.

Yours,
Roland