Re: Jensen's device

wclodius@aol.com (Wclodius)
30 Mar 1998 21:35:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Jensen's device xxx@info.lv (1998-03-22)
Re: Jensen's device wclodius@aol.com (1998-03-24)
Re: Jensen's device scott@basis.com (1998-03-24)
Re: Jensen's device jsm@it.dtu.dk (JørgenSteensgaard) (1998-03-24)
Re: Jensen's device wclodius@aol.com (1998-03-30)
Re: Jensen's device genew@vip.net (1998-03-30)
Re: Jensen's device mslamm@olive.mscc.huji.ac.il (1998-03-30)
Re: Jensen's device u-reddy@cs.uiuc.edu (Uday S. Reddy) (1998-03-30)
Re: Jensen's device Andrew.Walker@nottingham.ac.uk (Dr A. N. Walker) (1998-04-03)
Re: Jensen's device jmccarty@sun1307.spd.dsccc.com (1998-04-03)
Re: Jensen's device ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz (Dr Richard A. O'Keefe) (1998-04-03)

From: wclodius@aol.com (Wclodius)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Mar 1998 21:35:10 -0500

Our esteemed moderator said:

[My dim recollection is that col 1 contained some sort of preprocessor
flag, but I can easily believe that the /* problem was the real motivation.
PL/I and JCL were designed at IBM at the same time, and it would be typical
for the two groups not to talk to each other. -John]

My recollection from the proceedings of the Second History of
Programming Languages conference, which I do not have available at the
moment, is that the leader of both efforts was one and the same
person. Still I have known managers that didn't communicate well with
their teams.?

William B. Clodius
[I looked through "IBM's 360 and Early 370 Computers" by Pugh et al. and
although the leadership kept shifting, the teams certainly were in touch.
So never mind. -John]