Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter)

Chris Reedy <creedy@mitretek.org>
24 Mar 1998 22:53:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Techniques for writing an interpreter simon@magnorth.nildram.co.uk (Simon Chapman) (1998-03-06)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1998-03-12)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter ct7@mitre.org (W. Craig Trader) (1998-03-15)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU (1998-03-15)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter hgg9140@heckle.ca.boeing.com (1998-03-18)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter markh@usai.asiainfo.com (Mark Harrison) (1998-03-20)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter a010111t@bc.seflin.org (Orlando Llanes) (1998-03-20)
Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter) creedy@mitretek.org (Chris Reedy) (1998-03-24)
Re: Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter markh@usai.asiainfo.com (Mark Harrison) (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter tiggr@ics.ele.tue.nl (1998-03-30)
Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter) jhonan@mpx.com.au (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter hgg9140@heckle.ca.boeing.com (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter bmcsweeney@bigfoot.com (1998-03-30)
Re: Scripting Languages (was Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter cgregg@dsp.sps.mot.com (Chris Gregg) (1998-03-30)

From: Chris Reedy <creedy@mitretek.org>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Mar 1998 22:53:40 -0500

> On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Mark Harrison wrote:
> > I think that Scheme faces an uphill battle as a generally accepted
> > unpleasant to use.

Our moderator nattered:
> [Sounds to me like that would make it utterly unusable. It's bad
> enough with Javascript and VBscript in the MS web browser. Scripting
> languages are usually used for relatively small programs that glue
> together large existing pieces of stuff, so you want high-level data
> structures and a syntax that lets you write two-line scripts in two
> lines, if that's all the script you happen to need. If we want C or
> Pascal, we know where to find them. -John]

A quick question: What are the key differences between a scripting
language and an ordinary programming language? That is, what is it
about a language that makes it better or worse for the uses described
above?

Chris
--
Dr. Christopher L. Reedy, Mail Stop Z551
Mitretek Systems, 7525 Colshire Drive, McLean, VA 22102-7400