Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter

alan shutko <shutkoa@ugsolutions.com>
24 Mar 1998 22:41:22 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1998-03-18)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter dhansen@btree.com (1998-03-18)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter dent@cs.tu-berlin.de (Pierre Mai) (1998-03-18)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter markh@usai.asiainfo.com (Mark Harrison) (1998-03-20)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter a010111t@bc.seflin.org (Orlando Llanes) (1998-03-20)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter simon@magnorth.nildram.co.uk (Simon Chapman) (1998-03-22)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter shutkoa@ugsolutions.com (alan shutko) (1998-03-24)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter mikee@cetasoft.cog (1998-03-24)
Re: Techniques for writing an interpreter nnylfv@ny.ubs.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1998-03-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: alan shutko <shutkoa@ugsolutions.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Mar 1998 22:41:22 -0500

O> What if the script language had built-in parsers for Pascal and
O> C, and a utility similar to Lex/Yacc was distributed with the
O> interpreter, would it be a more useful language?

That was the Guile dream, but it seems to have disappeared, at least
temporarily. If you can manage it, I'm sure the FSF would be quite
pleased!

O> [... Scripting languages are usually used for
O> relatively small programs that glue together large existing pieces
O> of stuff, so you want high-level data structures and a syntax that
O> lets you write two-line scripts in two lines, if that's all the
O> script you happen to need. If we want C or Pascal, we know where
O> to find them. -John]

Not necessarily. The newsreader I'm using is an example of an
application written in a scripting language. Tcl/Tk apparently has
had enough success to have more than minimal applications written in
it.
--
Alan Shutko <shutkoa@ugsolutions.com> - (314) 344-5214
[See comments on scripting language design a couple of messages from now.