Re: vax assembly interpreters

pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
20 Mar 1998 01:28:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
vax assembly interpreters cypherpunk@hotmail.com (1998-03-18)
Re: vax assembly interpreters pardo@cs.washington.edu (1998-03-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pardo@cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Mar 1998 01:28:07 -0500

our moderator writes:
>[Gee, the Vax seems to me to be one of the most complicated
>instruction sets ever designed, what with all the addressing modes and
>wierd instructions. I believe you'll find the MIPS RISC a lot easier
>to deal with. -John]

The VAX is suprisingly regular. There are some other processors that
are much worse, architecturally, and some which are complicated to
simulate because of exposed timing details, branch delay slots, etc.

Other processors have better simulators, though.

I believe that the best public list of simulation tools is:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/pardo/sim.d/index.html

This also lists categories for comparing tools.

(If you know of a better or even different list, please let me know.)

;-D on ( Just the VAX, man, just the VAX ) Pardo