Re: The Functional Treatment of Parsing

lex <lex@natlab.research.philips.com>
15 Mar 1998 00:20:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
The Functional Treatment of Parsing sge@elkins.pdial.interpath.com (Steve Elkins) (1998-03-08)
Re: The Functional Treatment of Parsing aycock@gulf.csc.UVic.CA (1998-03-12)
Re: The Functional Treatment of Parsing lex@natlab.research.philips.com (lex) (1998-03-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: lex <lex@natlab.research.philips.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Mar 1998 00:20:43 -0500

Steve Elkins wrote:

> Has anyone read the book referred to in the subject?
>
> The URL for the publisher's page is...
>
> http://www.wkap.nl/book.htm/0-7923-9376-7
>
> ...and it says the book describes a unification of parsing techniques
> for programming languages and natural languages.
>
> "The new implementations, called recursive
> ascent parsers, avoid explicit manipulation of parse stacks and
> parse matrices, and are in many ways superior to conventional
> implementations. They are applicable to grammars for programming
> languages as well as natural languages."
>
> I'm hoping to hear more about the book in particular and recursive
> ascent parsing in general.

I know that book.
Recursive ascent parsers are very nice things. They allow for the
treatment of LR parsing by means of functional programming. No need
for stack automata any more, just a set of recursive functions,
like LL parsers.

Apart from the book, I can recomment the following on recursive ascent
parsers:

@article{Leermakers-Augusteijn-Kruseman,
author = {Ren\'e Leermakers and Lex Augusteijn and Frans E.J. {Kruseman
Aretz}},
title = {{A functional LR-parser}},
journal = tcs,
year = {1992},
volume = {104},
pages = {313--323}}

@article{Leermakers-Earley-Marcus,
author = {Ren\'e Leermakers},
title = {{Recursive ascent parsing: from Earley to Marcus}},
journal = tcs,
year = {1992},
volume = {104},
pages = {299--312}}

@inproceedings{Leermakers-Earley-LR,
author = {Ren\'e Leermakers},
title = {{Recursive ascent parsing: from Earley to LR}},
booktitle = {Computer Science in the Netherlands},
year = {1992}}

@article{Leermakers-Earley,
author = {Ren\'e Leermakers},
title = {{A recursive ascent Earley parser}},
journal = ipl,
year = {1992},
volume = {41},
pages = {87}}

@article{Kruseman-Ascent,
author = {F.E.J. {Kruseman Aretz}},
title = {{On a Recursive Ascent Parser}},
journal = ipl,
year = {1988},
volume = {29},
pages = {201--206}}

@phdthesis{Augusteijn-thesis,
     author = {Lex Augusteijn},
     title = {Functional Programming, Program Transformations and Compiler
Construction},
     school = {Eindhoven Technical University},
     month = {October},
     year = {1993}}

--
Name: dr.ir. Lex Augusteijn