Re: Call by name in Algol-60

xxx@info.lv
15 Mar 1998 00:17:43 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Call by name in Algol-60 RogerHA@aol.com (RogerHA) (1998-03-07)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 xxx@info.lv (1998-03-15)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 RogerHA@aol.com (RogerHA) (1998-03-18)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 lindsay-j@rmc.ca (John Lindsay) (1998-03-18)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 xxx@info.lv (1998-03-20)
Jensen's device xxx@info.lv (1998-03-22)
Re: Call by name in Algol-60 lindsay-j@rmc.ca (John Lindsay) (1998-03-24)
Re: Jensen's device scott@basis.com (1998-03-24)

From: xxx@info.lv
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Mar 1998 00:17:43 -0500

    RogerHA <RogerHA@aol.com> wrote:
> Call by name is one of those things which is straightforward to
> understand if you start off in the right direction, but rapidly leads
> to confusion if you start with a wrong turn. Andrejs assumes that the
> thunks are done in the called procedure code, but this is not right,
> you have to do it at the place where the procedure is called. This is
> the environment where everything is known about how to evaluate the
> parameter and calculate its adderss (if allowed) to do an assignment.

Many thanks for explanations.

I understand that a thunk is executed in the calling procedure's
environment and that all the identifiers in the thunk have
associations as if this thunk would be a function defined inside the
calling procedure's body. I also understand that a thunk is compiled
for each actual parameter, not for a formal one. Perhaps, I haven't
explained that clear enough in my original posting.

> Actually, the compiler does not have to remember much, if
> anything. What you do is compile the code to evaluate the parameter,
> and separate code to assign to it, at the point of the procedure
> call. This code is not executed at the call, you just jump over it.

Yes, this was how I always thought it should be implemented.

>What you pass to the called procedure is the addresses of the two
> routines, and a pointer to the stack frame. So, when the parameter is
> to be fetched or assigned to, all you have to do is temporarily re-set
> the variable stack pointer (to somewhere lower down) and call a
> subroutine. If the parameter is passed on as a parameter to yet
> another procedure, or recursively, all you do is pass on the three
> pointers. Type conversion may have to be taken care of, one way way of
> doing this is to put the required/actual type on the stack as a
> parameter of the evaluation/assignment subroutine. Jensen's device
> invloved having two parameters by name. The actual parameters were an
> array element whose index is the other parameter. e.g. the formal
> parameters might have been REAL a; INTEGER i; and the actual
> parameters A[B], B.
> >>
> So, if the actual parameter is K+1, the routine to fetch the value
> does it, and the routine to do an assignment causes a run-time
> error. All this is possible in a one-pass compiler, even without
> forward declarations. What you do is have code which sorts out the
> parameters at the point where a procedure starts executing. At this
> point the type of all the formal parameters is known. Any parameters
> which are by value get de-referenced at that point, and then behave as
> local variables. Within the body of the procedure, any reference to
> one of the parameters by name causes the thunk whose address is on the
> stack to be called.

Well, I still don't understand why such a very complex solution (with
two separate thunks for each actual parameter) is necessary. Why much
simpler one, where a thunk always returns an address (of a temporary
location in memory in the case of expression) will not work properly ?
If we go for your solution, then I wonder how it should be
implemented:

1. A compiler scans each actual parameter two times and generates the same
      code twice, the only difference being at the end of the code (fetching or
      assignment).

2. The part of the code identical for both thunks is simply copied from the
      first thunk to form the second one (except the difference mentioned in
      the p. 1).

If, in the case of an actual parameter being an expression, the second
thunk is there only to cause a run-time exception, wouldn't it be
better to check this already in the compiling time ?

Colud you please explain me all this ?

                                                                                  Andrejs.
[I believe it's not possible to verify statically whether or not a
call-by-name routine assigns to a variable. Imagine a situation where
it depends on the input, and you know that for external reasons the input
will always make it do something valid. Also consider that useful algol60
systems needed to support separate compilation and libraries. -John]