Re: Wanted: Simple virtual machine or interpreter

Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
18 Feb 1998 23:13:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted: Simple virtual machine or interpreter jmn@update.uu.se (Norman) (1998-02-14)
Re: Wanted: Simple virtual machine or interpreter bmcsweeney@hotmail.com (brian mcsweeney) (1998-02-18)
Re: Wanted: Simple virtual machine or interpreter augustss@cs.chalmers.se (Lennart Augustsson) (1998-02-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Feb 1998 23:13:41 -0500

Norman <jmn@update.uu.se> writes:
> I'm searching for a simple low-level, yet efficient virtual machine
> and a compiler for it.
>
> [...]
>
> * Size of binary that emulates the virtual machine: 16 Kbyte, or less.
> (If it needs more, it's not a _simple_ virtual machine!)

You could have a look at ftp://ftp.cs.chalmers.se/~augustss/oc.tar.gz.

This is the unobfuscated version of my winning entry in the Obfuscated
C Code Contest. It is an interpreter for a simple byte code together
with a compiler. The language the compiler accepts is a subset of C.
The source code for the interpreter is 140 lines and on a SPARC the
binary is about 16K.

The compiler can compile itself as well as the interpreter, but
is probably of no interest to you.

As you can see the code is totally void of any copyrights whatsoever,
but if you feel like it you could add my name to it.

--

-- Lennart Augustsson