Re: Retargettable assembler?

Shankar Unni <shankar@cup.hp.com>
18 Feb 1998 23:07:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Retargettable assembler? mrzandor@aol.com (1998-02-15)
Re: Retargettable assembler? sandeep.dutta@usa.net (Sandeep Dutta) (1998-02-18)
Re: Retargettable assembler? shankar@cup.hp.com (Shankar Unni) (1998-02-18)
Re: Retargettable assembler? meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1998-02-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Shankar Unni <shankar@cup.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Feb 1998 23:07:07 -0500

Mr Zandor wrote:

> I've written a VM's for a machine code a friend of mine thought up,
> but my shoddy, home-made table assembler can't compile RISC code.
> Does anybody know where I can get a versatile retargetable assembler?

The GNU assembler is a (somewhat heavyweight) solution to your problem.

The machine-specific part is essentially infinitely customizable
(since it hands off all actual instruction lines to user-defined code
to parse and analyze), but it handles assembler directives, object
file formats (ELF, COFF, ...), debug information formats (Stabs, ...)
etc. in a sort of portable fashion (if I may gloss over some bumps).

There are dozens of machine-specific files included; you can look in them
for inspiration on writing your own machine-specific support.

--
Shankar Unni shankar@cup.hp.com
HP Performance Delivery Lab (ex-CLL) +1 (408) 447-2851