Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers

sazal@aol.com (Sazal)
24 Jan 1998 12:18:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers sazal@aol.com (1998-01-24)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers - or doing things by hal dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers falan@inreach.com (Alan Fargusson) (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers corbett@lupa.Eng.Sun.COM (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers - or doing things by hal tmoog@mcs.net (Tom Moog) (1998-01-25)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers hrubin@stat.purdue.edu (1998-01-26)
Re: Use of unaligned load/stores by compilers - or doing things by hal henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1998-01-26)

From: sazal@aol.com (Sazal)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jan 1998 12:18:14 -0500

  I was wondering if anyone can point out the different capacities in
which compilers use unaligned load/store instructions. So far I have
seen them used in structure copy blocks. Can a architecture whose
code is solely generated by compilers live without unaligned
load/stores. Any references will be greatly apppreciated.

Thanks
Sazal
[Any architecture can live without unaligned loads and stores. The
IBM 360 didn't have them. (The 370 added them for reasons I don't
totally grasp.) Most RISC chips don't have them.

Fortran lets you use equivalence statements to misalign double precision
floats, other than that I don't know of any languages where misaligned
data will happen without extraordinary programmer effort. -John]