Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation

Sergey Solyanik <sergey@solyanik.com>
23 Jan 1998 00:20:26 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation kers@cdollin.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (1998-01-21)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-23)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation ast@halcyon.com (1998-01-24)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation sergey@solyanik.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1998-01-30)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation dgay@barnowl.CS.Berkeley.EDU (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mike.hobbs@ccmail.fingerhut.com (Michael Hobbs) (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1998-02-01)
Re: wanted: good references for [45]86 code generation mzraly@world.std.com (1998-02-03)

From: Sergey Solyanik <sergey@solyanik.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Jan 1998 00:20:26 -0500

Chris Dollin wrote:
> We're considering writing a code generator targetting the 80[45]86 machines.
>
> Can anyone suggest good reference material for the instruction set and
> architecture (I'd go for the Intel one unless otherwise advised), and
> are there any books/papers with helpful advice, war stories, and
> gotchas?
> [The Intel manuals are pretty good,... -John]

I'd second on that - Intel manuals are very good, much better than any
other assembler manual that I've seen. As far as specific literature
on targeting Intel in code generators - I do not think it exists. If
you are lucky to find one, please drop me a line.

Regards --

Sergey Solyanik
Software Developer
Bentley Systems, Inc

Sergey.Solyanik@bentley.com
[One of the manuals available in Intel's on-line set is on optimization
techniques. Generating 386 code isn't all that hard (certainly compared
to 286) because they made the instruction set much more regular in the
operations provided, albeit not in the instruction encoding. -John]