Re: Payware ???

gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (George C. Lindauer)
19 Dec 1997 00:17:40 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Payware ??? autom@earthlink.net (Paul Mann) (1997-12-16)
Re: Payware ??? dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-12-16)
Re: Payware ??? amoroso@mclink.it (1997-12-17)
Re: Payware ??? gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (1997-12-19)
Re: Payware ??? guerby@gnat.com (Laurent Guerby) (1997-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (George C. Lindauer)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Dec 1997 00:17:40 -0500

Paul Mann (autom@earthlink.net) wrote:

> I've thought about giving it away for free. Any ideas, I'm listening

I give mine away for free. I'm basically concentrating on the
compiler at this point, and I gather other freeware from other authors
for support tools. The next release is extremely stable, as I spent a
great deal of time guilding it with itself to get the kinks out of it.

Anyway I have several people who use my compiler a lot and tell me so.
There were several people extremely intereested in redistributing it
as well, and sometimes I get hints that there are other people using
it that aren't talking to me directly.

Of course the target platform is DOS, I also support embedded 68K
development, I have some profs over in europe using my stuff in
classes. Occasionally someone thanks me because while DJGPP is very
comprehensive it is also a bear to figure out how to get it installed
and oonfigured if you don't have a lot of experience.

I also put in a lot of time fixing bugs that get reported to me, I am
very committed to having it be usable. My one gripe right now is it
produces somewhat slow code, I haven't quite got the hang of advanced
optimization techniques. Oh well...

David