Re: Windows RC grammar?

qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson)
5 Dec 1997 01:24:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Windows RC grammar? kenji@alcatraz.net (Kenji Hino) (1997-11-13)
Re: Windows RC grammar? Isaac@yellow.submarine.pla (1997-11-20)
Re: Windows RC grammar? qjackson@direct.ca (1997-12-05)
Re: Windows RC grammar? WStreett@shell.monmouth.com (1997-12-07)
Re: Windows RC grammar? ian@cygnus.com (1997-12-07)
Re: Windows RC grammar? qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson) (1997-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: qjackson@direct.ca (Quinn Tyler Jackson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Dec 1997 01:24:53 -0500

On 13 Nov 1997 23:39:11 -0500, in comp.compilers Kenji Hino wrote:

>Does anybody know where I can find the yacc/bison grammar of Windows
>Resource file ?

Having written a Windows PE and NE (32 and 16 bit) resource decompiler
for my employer, and as the person in charge of maintaining the beast
as it gives its best effort on the Front, I can say that I doubt
Windows resources as encountered in the wild are as tame as a yacc or
bison grammar would like.

There are many undocumented twists and turns in parsing arbitrary
Windows executable files to make them give up their secrets, and some
JPU (Just-Plain-Ugly) work-arounds of the sort that regular grammar
engines do not handle gracefully.

Cheers,

Quinn Tyler Jackson,
Research Programmer
--
Quinn Tyler Jackson -- "The Artful Parser"

email: qjackson@direct.ca
url: http://mypage.direct.ca/q/qjackson/