Re: Q: regarding regular grammars ...

adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone)
5 Dec 1997 01:13:52 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: regarding regular grammars ... mcr@visi.com (Michael Roach) (1997-11-24)
Re: Q: regarding regular grammars ... henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-11-28)
Re: Q: regarding regular grammars ... karsten@tdr.dk (Karsten Nyblad) (1997-11-29)
Re: Q: regarding regular grammars ... jos@and.nl (Jos A. Horsmeier) (1997-11-29)
Re: Q: regarding regular grammars ... henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-11-30)
Re: Q: regarding regular grammars ... adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1997-12-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (A Johnstone)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Dec 1997 01:13:52 -0500

Michael Roach wrote:
: > I thought regular expressions were regular grammars, is that assumption
: > wrong? And if so, could you explain the differences or point me to some
: > references. Thanks.

Karsten Nyblad (karsten@tdr.dk) wrote:
: Yes, it is wrong. Regular grammar are a superset of context free
: grammars
: (CFG). Even the class of langauges of CFG's is larger than the class of
: languages of regular expressions.

I think Karsten has misread the original question - Michael was
talking about regular grammars not context free grammars. Contrary to
Karsten's claim, regular grammars are a subset of CFG not a
superset. It is easy to convert from a RE to a RG grammar as long as
the RE doesn't use extended notions like variables (these things are
not really RE's, formally).

I find the Parsing Theory twin volume set recommended by Karsten good
for some theory but less good for everyday queries. The most readable
reference I know is Dick Grunne's book on parsing published a few
years ago by Ellis Horwood and now sadly out of print, but obtainable
from your library, perhaps? Personally I find the treatment in the
dragon book repetetive and disorganised.

                                                    Adrian

--
Dr Adrian Johnstone, Senior Lecturer in Computing, Computer Science Dep,
Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.