Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements

srw@pspf47.ih.lucent.com (Steve Walk)
5 Dec 1997 01:06:08 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements johnmce@world.std.com (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements srw@pspf47.ih.lucent.com (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements preston@cs.rice.edu (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements drh@microsoft.com (Dave Hanson) (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements wilson@marker.cs.utah.edu (Wilson C Hsieh) (1997-12-05)
Re: Help needed: Code generation for CASE/SWITCH statements conway@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1997-12-05)

From: srw@pspf47.ih.lucent.com (Steve Walk)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c.moderated
Date: 5 Dec 1997 01:06:08 -0500

Jakob (jakob@iar_.se) wrote:

: I would like to know if anybody knows of any references (articles,
: books, online sources) where information can be found about how to
: select implementation strategies for switch statements (case for Ada
: and Pascal).

I had to do this search for a project that was never funded. Here are
some references. The method used in LCC is derived from KanP94. To
look at code you could by a copy of Fraser and Hanson's book ("LCC, A
Retargetable Compiler for ANSI C") or visit the LCC website.

Steve Walk

%A Sampath Kannan
%A Todd A. Proebsting
%T "Correction to 'Producing Good Code for the Case Statement'"
%J Software - Practice & Experience
%D 1994
%M February
%K Case Statement

%A Robert Bernstein
%T "Producing Good code for the Case Statement"
%J Software - Practice & Experience
%V 15
%N 10
%M October
%D 1985
%P 1021-1024
%K Case Statement

%A John L. Hennessy
%A Noah Mendelsohn
%T "Compilation of the Pascal Case Statement"
%J Software - Practice and Experience
%V 12
%N 9
%M September
%D 1982
%P 879-882
%K PASCAL
%K Case Statement

%A A. Sale
%T "The Implementation of Case Statements in PACAL"
%J Software - Practice & Experience
%V 11
%D 1981
%P 929-942
%K Case Statement

%A D. A. Spuler
%T "Compiler Code Generation for Multiway Branch Statements
                as a Static Search Problem"
%G Technical Report 94/03
%M January
%D 1994
%I Department of Computer Science, James Cook University, Australia
%K Case Statement