Re: Translation between high level languages

hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
30 Nov 1997 22:50:47 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Translation between high level languages Mikal.Ziane@lip6.fr (Mikal Ziane) (1997-11-29)
Re: Translation between high level languages hbaker@netcom.com (1997-11-30)
Re: Translation between high level languages henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-11-30)
Re: Translation between high level languages dweller@universe.digex.net (1997-11-30)
Re: Translation between high level languages lampe@math.tu-dresden.de (J.Lampe) (1997-12-02)
Re: Translation between high level languages mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (1997-12-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry Baker)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.theory
Date: 30 Nov 1997 22:50:47 -0500

Mikal Ziane <Mikal.Ziane@lip6.fr> wrote:

> I am looking for references on translating between high-level
> languages (rather than compiling to an assembly language or a low
> level virtual machine). I am especially interested in
> as-universal-as-possible approaches (not simply from say C to Java or
> any other particular case). The ideal would be attempts to describe
> the semantics of some class of languages and using it to translate
> between languages of this class.

ANSI C has been used as a target language for a number of years
because of its ubiquity. More recently, both Java itself as well as
the Java byte codes have been used as targets.

For many years, Fortran had been a target, although not a particularly
good one, because it was severely portability-impaired.

Lisp is the easiest and best target, because there is so little to do.
This is why it earned the reputation as being the spawner of so many
`higher level' languages.