Re: Intel IA-64 Architecture

David L Moore <dlmoore@ix.netcom.com>
14 Nov 1997 11:46:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Intel IA-64 Architecture creedy@mitretek.org (1997-11-13)
Re: Intel IA-64 Architecture R.D.Potter@herts.ac.uk (1997-11-14)
Re: Intel IA-64 Architecture dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-11-14)
Re: Intel IA-64 Architecture mwolfe@pgroup.com (1997-11-15)
Re: Intel IA-64 Architecture meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1997-11-18)
Re: Intel IA-64 Architecture Roger@natron.demon.co.uk (Roger Barnett) (1997-11-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David L Moore <dlmoore@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Nov 1997 11:46:35 -0500

Chris Reedy wrote:

> The last two items where identified in the article as being designed
> to allow for expansion of basic blocks.
[...]
> Is it feasible to expect compilers to be able to do a good job of
> making use of this architecture? Is this a compiler writers nightmare
> (or dream)?

As our esteemed moderator said, there has been a lot of work done. If
you look where people from Multiflow now work, you will see that there
is a lot of work being done specifically for the IA64.

One of the problems with VLIW is code size. This is not as much a
problem anymore at the bulk level, with hard drives and memory prices
the way they are, but it does make you wonder about I-cache performance.

Given that techniques like speculative execution can be found in modern
RISC chips, given that the code locality of reference is higher on a
RISC chip than a VLIW chip, and given the current large dependence on
cache performance for total system performance, it will be interesting
to see how the IA-64 compares on performance of general purpose
programs.