Re: Commercial LEX/YACC -vs- Flex/Bison

dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe)
14 Nov 1997 11:46:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Commercial LEX/YACC -vs- Flex/Bison todd_tomlinson@emeraldsolutions.com (todd) (1997-11-13)
Re: Commercial LEX/YACC -vs- Flex/Bison dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-11-14)
Re: Commercial LEX/YACC -vs- Flex/Bison Stephen_Flanagan@bsginc.com (1997-11-16)
Re: Commercial LEX/YACC -vs- Flex/Bison daniel@dittmar.net (1997-11-16)
Re: Commercial LEX/YACC -vs- Flex/Bison henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) (1997-11-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dwight@pentasoft.com (Dwight VandenBerghe)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 14 Nov 1997 11:46:19 -0500

On 13 Nov 1997 23:44:49 -0500, "todd"
<todd_tomlinson@emeraldsolutions.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have recommendations as to whether the commercially
>available Lex/YACC packages are significantly better than Flex and
>Bison. Specifically, the tools from MKS and Abraxas? I've been using
>Flex and Bison with much success (WinTel platform) and am trying to
>understand the benefits of these packages (which cost $400 - $1000).

If all you want is the basic functionality, then flex and byacc (or
bison) are fine. If you want something more, I highly recommend
Yacc++ from Compiler Resources. I found out about them from our
FAQ, and although the package is not cheap, it is really well
implemented. And it has one of the best manuals I've had the
pleasure of reading, in my 31 years of programming. Five stars.

Dwight
[Chris Clark, who wrote much of that package, posts here from time to time.
-John]