Re: Configurable Assembler?

mayan@watson.ibm.com (Mayan Moudgill)
9 Nov 1997 12:07:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Configurable Assembler? cignetti@cs.duke.edu (Todd L. Cignetti) (1997-11-02)
Re: Configurable Assembler? meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1997-11-03)
Re: Configurable Assembler? gclind01@spd.louisville.edu (1997-11-07)
Re: Configurable Assembler? rlhansen@zianet.com (Robert Hansen) (1997-11-07)
Re: Configurable Assembler? mayan@watson.ibm.com (1997-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mayan@watson.ibm.com (Mayan Moudgill)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 9 Nov 1997 12:07:23 -0500

Todd L. Cignetti <cignetti@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
>I am looking for an assembler that allows me to specify the instructions
>and the corresponding opcodes. Basically, I need to add new opcodes to
>an existing instruction set.

A problem with using an arbitrary assembler is that it doesn't
necessarily support the executable format used by your system. This
may or may not be a concern for you.

The simplest way to do this is to see if your current system
assembler allows you to put arbitrary words in the text section
of your code; e.g. can your assembler handle:

.text
add r3, r5, 100
.long 0x047f8000 ; this is machine code for new insn
add r4, r9, r3

If so, the simplest way to accomplish what you want is to
write a preprocessor that reads in the assembler file, convert
all the new instructions to their equivalent machine code, and
then run the system assembler on the output.

Mayan Moudgill