Re: History and evolution of compilers

Michael McKernan <mck@pobox.com>
2 Nov 1997 23:21:17 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: History and evolution of compilers mark@hubcap.clemson.edu (1997-10-10)
Re: History and evolution of compilers norman@kbss.bt.co.uk (Norman Hilton) (1997-10-10)
Re: History and evolution of compilers rweaver@ix.netcom.com (1997-10-14)
Re: History and evolution of compilers mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (1997-10-14)
Re: History and evolution of compilers preston@tera.com (1997-10-16)
Re: History and evolution of compilers gray@harlequin.co.uk (1997-10-17)
Re: History and evolution of compilers mck@pobox.com (Michael McKernan) (1997-11-02)
Re: History and evolution of compilers johnrn@ibm.net (1997-11-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Michael McKernan <mck@pobox.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Nov 1997 23:21:17 -0500

> Fortran G was written by another company (I've forgotten the name)
> in the POP language, for IBM. There was a technology transfer from
> that company to several existing (or merged/absorbed) companies,
> sometimes by people leaving the original company and founding their
> own company.

> Should you be able to locate/identify those people, your history
> will have solid lines (this came from there) as opposed to dashed
> lines (the concepts used here may have been based on concepts first
> used there).

I can't remember the company name (digitek? ... maybe) but the authors
were Don Ryan and Dave McFarland, now probably better known for
Ryan-McFarland COBOL. I was not aware of any "technology transfer"
since I believe, at the time, Ryan and McFarland were the whole
company, but I could be wrong about that. Their "pops fortran"
probably showed up on most of the smaller scale computers extant at
the time, so the technology was well known, and I have seen it
referred to as their "elegant little fortran compiler".

The IBM 360 was probably pretty big iron for this compiler, but I
suspect they were called in because the H compiler would have been
unacceptably late and the 360 would have been without any Fortran at
all.

    Mike McKernan
[The compiler generated pretty good code on the PDP-6, but did badly on
the 360 because it didn't know anything about the 360's base register
addressing. I can believe that Fortran H was horribly late, since all
the other OS/360 software was, too. -John]