Re: Fortran 90 grammar

William Clodius <wclodius@lanl.gov>
2 Nov 1997 23:10:19 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fortran 90 grammar phyl@lanl.gov (Phyllis E. Crandall) (1997-10-29)
Re: Fortran 90 grammar desitter@gma.bris.ac.uk (Arnaud Desitter) (1997-11-02)
Re: Fortran 90 grammar wclodius@lanl.gov (William Clodius) (1997-11-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: William Clodius <wclodius@lanl.gov>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.fortran
Date: 2 Nov 1997 23:10:19 -0500

Phyllis E. Crandall wrote:

> Is there a Fortran-90 grammar suitable for use with YACC (or Bison)
> available for free? Need URL or ftp site.
> <snip>

Sort of:

To the best of my knowledge, the only Fortran 90 grammar generally
available at no cost is that of Eli, see

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~eliuser/

and related pages. I have not tried using Eli, but, although the nominal
grammar is apparently not in YACC form, I believe they use YACC for
intermediate processing (i.e., they process their grammar to produce a
YACC compatible grammar), and it may be possible to use either the
original Eli grammar or the YACC compatible intermediate form for your
purposes.

A number of academic researchers that are doing work on parallelizing
Fortran code nominally work on supersets of Fortran 77 that are
gradually incorporating Fortran 90 features. It may be that one of them
has something close to what you want. Possiblitities include HPF and
SUIF

http://www.irisa.fr/EXTERNE/pampa/HPF/survey.html
http://suif.stanford.edu/index.html

It may be that commercial vendors have grammars they are willing to
share with academic users, but most of those will involve either
handwritten parsers, or their own proprietary tools. As NAG has been the
only vendor that relied on C intermediate code, I suspect that they are
the most likely vendor to have what you want.

You may also want to check on PCCTS, JCC and other tools

http://java.magelang.com/antlr/index.html
http://www.suntest.com/JavaCC/
http://www.first.gmd.de/cogent/catalog/index.html

--

William B. Clodius Phone: (505)-665-9370
Los Alamos Nat. Lab., NIS-2 FAX: (505)-667-3815