Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation"

opnek@@bgn.mindspring.com (Jay L Cole)
26 Oct 1997 22:12:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" opnek@@bgn.mindspring.com (1997-10-26)
Re: Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" greened@eecs.umich.edu (1997-10-29)
Re: Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" ssolyanik@icdc.com (Sergey Solyanik) (1997-11-07)
Just got "Advanced Compiler Design Impementation" wilhelm@cs.uni-sb.de (Reinhard Wilhelm) (1997-11-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: opnek@@bgn.mindspring.com (Jay L Cole)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Oct 1997 22:12:48 -0500

Hello all,

I just received the book "Advanced Compiler Design Implementation" by
Steven S. Muchnick. The book is very high quality by Morgan Kaufmann
publishers. So far, based on the introduction and table of contents,
it looks to be a very impressive tome on the other side of compilers.
It is nice to see a book that emphasizes the code generation and
optimization side rather than the same old lexing/parsing and
intermediate code representation. The only other book I've read that
is good on the code generation side is "Design of an optimizing
compiler" -- Wolff. Out of print now.

The bibliographical references are worth the book price alone :).
Quite an impressive work with about 5 years of elapsed time to produce
the book.

Initial impressions is a thumbs up, but I will let you know more as
time goes on and I have time to digest it fully.

Jay Cole