Re: Postscript Parser

quite@dial.pipex.com (Aandi Inston)
19 Oct 1997 00:53:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Postscript Parser withers@cs.man.ac.uk (1997-10-17)
Re: Postscript Parser tgl@netcom.com (Tom Lane) (1997-10-19)
Re: Postscript Parser quite@dial.pipex.com (1997-10-19)
Re: Postscript Parser pd@world.std.com (1997-10-21)
Parsing stack-based languages nnylfv@ny.ubs.com (Olivier Lefevre) (1997-10-26)
Re: Postscript Parser Wolfgang.Glunz@mchp.siemens.de (Wolfgang Glunz) (1997-10-26)
Re: Parsing stack-based languages anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1997-10-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: quite@dial.pipex.com (Aandi Inston)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript,comp.compilers
Date: 19 Oct 1997 00:53:53 -0400

withers@cs.man.ac.uk (David Withers) wrote:

>I'm trying to create a tool that recognises rectangles and text in
>PostScript diagrams and makes HTML image maps. Does anyone know of a
>PostScript parser that creates AST's or a grammar that I can use to
>make one?

PostScript isn't a language that can be parsed by a grammar. It's a
full programming language, but it's stack based (no structure) and
interpreted so the running program can change the meaning.

You'll need a PostScript interpreter. The only free one is GhostScript
(not necessarily free if you're trying to write a commercial tool). It
has a text extraction tool, but text is so quirky in PostScript that
it can't always be reliably extracted. (For a start it can be in any
order on the page).
Aandi Inston quite@dial.pipex.com
Visit http://www.quite.com/ for info on PostScript,