Re: Searching Perl(5) grammar

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
17 Oct 1997 22:50:20 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Searching Perl(5) grammar weishaar@soft.uni-linz.ac.at (Gerd Weishaar) (1997-10-03)
Re: Searching Perl(5) grammar rootbeer@teleport.com (Tom Phoenix) (1997-10-08)
Re: Searching Perl(5) grammar chip@rio.atlantic.net (1997-10-16)
Re: Searching Perl(5) grammar merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal Schwartz) (1997-10-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 17 Oct 1997 22:50:20 -0400

Chip> According to Gerd Weishaar <weishaar@soft.uni-linz.ac.at>:
>> I'm searching for a Perl grammar with the purpose to develope an
>> analysis tool for perl programs. The yacc-file included in the
>> perl5 package is quite tricky and difficult to read.

Chip> That's because Perl itself is tricky and difficult to parse.

>> [I'd be surprised if anything much simpler than the parser in perl5 could
>> correctly parse perl5. -John]

Chip> Good call. Some parser decisions depend on such factors as whether
Chip> a given package (class) has been defined yet.

You forgot "phase of the moon", "remaining supply of smoke for
smoke-and-mirrors", and "relative Bacon number".

:-)

print "Just another Perl hacker," # but not what the media calls "hacker!" :-)
Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@ora.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>