Using gcc's parser for Y2k work

lynn@swcp.com (Lynn Wilson)
28 Aug 1997 00:32:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Using gcc's parser for Y2k work lynn@swcp.com (1997-08-28)
Re: Using gcc's parser for Y2k work danwang@dynamic.CS.Princeton.EDU (Daniel Wang) (1997-08-30)
Re: Using gcc's parser for Y2k work jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-08-30)
Re: Using gcc's parser for Y2k work jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-09-03)
Re: Using gcc's parser for Y2k work dweise@microsoft.com (Daniel Weise) (1997-09-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: lynn@swcp.com (Lynn Wilson)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 28 Aug 1997 00:32:07 -0400

I'm working on writing tools that will deal with analyzing C and C++
source code in regards to year2000 compliance. My plan is to steal
the front end off of the gcc (g++) compiler and use it to build a
parse tree. I will then write code that will crawl over the tree and
'reason' about it.

Is this a resonable way to go? Would standalone lex/yacc (flex/bison)
approaches be a better way? I'm concerned that some of the publicly
available grammars for c/c++ are not complete.

Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

Lynn

lynn@swcp.com
[Prying the parser loose from the rest of GCC is challenging. You might
look at lcc as well. -John]