Pizza 1.1 announcement

"Christian R. Salzmann" <ciscrs@cis.unisa.edu.au>
30 May 1997 23:11:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pizza 1.1 announcement ciscrs@cis.unisa.edu.au (Christian R. Salzmann) (1997-05-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Christian R. Salzmann" <ciscrs@cis.unisa.edu.au>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 May 1997 23:11:35 -0400

Pizza 1.1 now available

We'd like to announce availability of Pizza 1.1, a strict superset of
Java 1.1, including support for inner classes. Pizza 1.1 also
incorporates four additional concepts, three of which are inherited
from the original Pizza language:

  - parametric polymorphism,
  - higher-order functions,
  - algebraic types, and
  - tail-recursion in constant space.

Pizza 1.1 is implemented on top of the JDK 1.1 development kit. The
Pizza compiler is a straight replacement for Sun's Java compiler,
javac. When compiling .java files, the Pizza compiler works just like
javac, except that it is up to 2 times faster for large programs.

An implementation of Pizza with a kernel library and some example
programs is available from

                http://www.cis.unisa.edu.au/~pizza

It will also soon (week following June 1st) be available from our
mirror sites:

                http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~pizza (Europe)

                http://www.math.luc.edu/pizza (US)
                http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/wadler/pizza
                ftp://ftp.eecs.tulane.edu/pub/maraist/pizza/index.html

Martin Odersky, University of South Australia,
odersky@cis.unisa.edu.au
Philip Wadler, Lucent Technologies,
wadler@research.bell-labs.com