Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry

Laurent Sabarthez <vlaures@igcom.fr>
30 May 1997 23:11:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry vlaures@igcom.fr (Laurent Sabarthez) (1997-05-30)
Re: Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry genew@vip.net (1997-05-31)
Re: Applying compiler technologies to the document processing industry jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-06-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Laurent Sabarthez <vlaures@igcom.fr>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 May 1997 23:11:02 -0400

Hi everybody,

I'm working in an I18N/L10N company. We make lots of conversion
utilities, from one document format to another (Interleaf, SGML, HTML,
RTF, and so on). Our tools are getting every day closer to full-scale
parsers and scanners, much like the ones used in the "ordinary"
compiler industry.

There are differences, however. For example, the borderline between
lexical and syntactic issues is not always that clear. We don't have
code generators, of course, but rather "text/markup" generators.

My question is: given that so many people seem to be involved in quite
similar activities (developing document-processing tools very close to
compiling tools), is there anybody here on comp.compilers interested
in such topics?

I would like to hear from you...

Thanks in advance,

Laurent Sabarthez
R&D Manager
I&G Com
[I certainly am. I've been working on and off on a book on document
conversion. But the more I learn about it, the harder I find that it is.
-John]