Re: JavaCC as a data translation tool?

Scott Stanchfield <thetick@scruz.net>
16 May 1997 00:48:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
JavaCC as a data translation tool? hkon@world.std.com (1997-05-13)
Re: JavaCC as a data translation tool? thetick@scruz.net (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-05-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Scott Stanchfield <thetick@scruz.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: 16 May 1997 00:48:10 -0400

Sure! (Ahhh! Finally! An enlightened programmer who sees that
parser generators aren't just for compilers! Kudos!)

Parser-generation tools like JavaCC, PCCTS (my fav -- plug plug!) and
yacc (say it like you've had too much to drink) are really good tools
for any type of structured text processing. (Of course there's a line
somewhere between the realm of programs that would be simpler in
straight perl, but if you need anything more than simple lexical
analysis, a parser-generator is a great tool for the job.)

Personally I prefer PCCTS, (probably partially because I know it well
and I'm writing a nifty debugger for it) but I've heard good things
about JavaCC as well.

For more info on JavaCC and PCCTS, see
    http://www.suntest.com for javaCC
    http://java.magelang.com/antlr/entry.html for PCCTS