Re: YACC, Bison, lex, flex Modes for emacs

Dan Harkless <dan@unitech.com>
15 May 1997 00:01:26 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
YACC, Bison, lex, flex Modes for emacs hampton@ksu.edu (Tom Hampton) (1997-05-08)
Re: YACC, Bison, lex, flex Modes for emacs sandro@lattice.latte.it (1997-05-13)
Re: YACC, Bison, lex, flex Modes for emacs dan@unitech.com (Dan Harkless) (1997-05-15)
Re: YACC, Bison, lex, flex Modes for emacs kelley@phys.ocean.dal.ca (1997-05-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dan Harkless <dan@unitech.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.emacs
Date: 15 May 1997 00:01:26 -0400

Tom Hampton <hampton@ksu.edu> writes:
  >After searching for a mode for the above, I found bison-mode.el which
  >many of you have probably found as inadequate as I did. I am
  >seriously considering writing Emacs major modes for the above
  >languages.

I think one reason no one's ever done full modes for those languages
is that you not only need to format the flex/bison expressions, but
also the embedded C, so you have to do a lot of the job cc-mode.el
already does. It seems like the easiest implementation of a good
flex/bison mode would be if cc-mode just considered flex/bison files
as another C dialect. Of course, Barry Warsaw probably has his hands
full enough that he wouldn't relish making those changes.

It'd be neat if c-mode could be made a minor mode. Then you could
make minor modes for flex and bison and let the two do their jobs on
their own parts of the file (of course each would have to be made
aware that there's stuff in the file they shouldn't worry about).

--
Dan Harkless Unitech Research, Inc. <dan@unitech.com>