Re: compiler with non-deterministic grammar

Scott Stanchfield <thetick@scruz.net>
8 May 1997 01:04:43 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler with non-deterministic grammar wlai@mail.utexas.edu (Wei-cheng Lai) (1997-05-03)
Re: compiler with non-deterministic grammar thetick@scruz.net (Scott Stanchfield) (1997-05-08)
Re: compiler with non-deterministic grammar eserra@svmp01.Harris.COM (Efren Serra) (1997-05-13)
Re: compiler with non-deterministic grammar Sandeep.dutta@mpct.com (Sandeep Dutta) (1997-05-15)
Re: compiler with non-deterministic grammar adrian@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1997-05-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Scott Stanchfield <thetick@scruz.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 May 1997 01:04:43 -0400

Not sure why you want it, but...

You could try a compiler that provides semantic predicates (such as
PCCTS) and make the predicates perform the probability check. For
example (PCCTS 1.33 syntax)

rule: <<rollTheD100() < 50>>? alt1
        | alt2
        ;

would execute function rollTheD100() (A 100-sided die...) and test if
the result were less than 50. alt1 would be attempted if:
        the semantic test were true (value < 50) AND
        the next token were in first(alt1)
otherwise, alt2 would be attempted IF the next token were in first(alt2)
otherwise, syntax error

Is this this type of thing you're looking for?

(I'd be interested in hearing what type of application this type of
parser has... please post something about it if you can...)

-- Scott

--
Scott Stanchfield Santa Cruz,CA
Visit my PCCTS Tutorial at http://www.scruz.net/~thetick/pcctstut