Re: Is C++ really used ?

David Chase <chase@world.std.com>
22 Apr 1997 23:19:33 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is C++ really used ? pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1997-04-22)
Re: Is C++ really used ? chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1997-04-22)
Re: Is C++ really used ? jacobs@darwin.cwru.edu (Kevin Jacobs) (1997-04-30)
Re: Is C++ really used ? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? krk@cygnus.com (Kim Knuttila) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1997-05-04)

From: David Chase <chase@world.std.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Apr 1997 23:19:33 -0400

Paulo Jose Pinto - LEI wrote:

> The one that gathered my atention is "Modern Compiler Implementation
> in (Java/C/ML)" and it doesn't favour C++.
> Is C++ so bad for compilers, after all I'm using it and it seems
> that everyone else is, so why aren't the books ?

I worked on one compiler written in C++, and it was a little bit like
being a subcontractor on the Tower of Babel. It was tedious and
confusing. With C, you pretty much know where you stand, and it isn't
terribly complex. With Java (I'm working on a compiler written in
Java right now) you've got all sorts of nice features that are lacking
from C++ that make it easier to get working programs written quickly,
and it is not so complex as C++. The resulting code is also more
robust under rapid change, at least according to my unscientific
two-point sample. There's eventually going to be an efficiency
problem, but we'll drive off that bridge when we come to it.

No doubt some C++ fan will write back to explain how I am all wrong,
but I am just relating my experience. I've worked on compiler written
in C, Modula-3, C++, Java, BCPL, and PL/1, and I know what I like.

David
[It is my impression that it's possible to write good programs in C++,
but nobody does. -John]